An acute myocardial infarction is just a fancy term for heart attack. It occurs when a section of the heart muscle becomes blocked and affects the flow of the oxygen rich blood. Furthermore, if this happens and isn’t restored fast enough, that section of the heart muscle begins to die.
Common warning signs or symptoms are:
- Chest pain or discomfort – discomfort is often in the center or left side of the chest and lasts a few minutes
- Shortness of breath – can occur with chest pain or discomfort while resting or after being physically active
- Upper body discomfort – can be pain or discomfort in the arms, shoulders, back or neck
Other possible symptoms also include:
- feeling unusually tired and sluggish
- light headedness/dizziness
For more information about myocardial infarction, also check out this article on PubMed Health.
How it Affects your DOT Physical Exam
First of all to be physically qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle you must have no current clinical diagnosis of myocardial infarction. However, if you experience a heart attack you still can be certified if you are being monitored and stabilized on medication.
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), the maximum certification length for someone who has had a heart attack is 1 year if the driver:
- is asymptomatic
- tolerates medications
- obtains a satisfactory exercise tolerance test (ETT)
- receives a resting left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) greater than or equal to 40%
- has no electrocardiogram ischemic changes
In addition you will need to bring a medical clearance letter from a cardiovascular specialist who understands the functions and demands of commercial driving to your DOT physical exam.
Consequently a driver will not be certified due to any of the following:
- chest pain at rest or change in chest pain patterns within 3 months of examination
- ischemic changes on rest electrocardiogram (ECG)
- intolerance to cardiovascular therapy and medications
Schedule Your DOT Physical Exam in Grand Junction
Here is how the process works:
- Schedule and pay for your exam by clicking here
- Arrive ready to complete minimal paperwork
- We’ll do a thorough examination and determine your certification length
- Also, you have the option of having us recommend wellness strategies that’ll improve your health
Make life easier by scheduling and paying for your DOT Physical in Grand Junction, Colorado at www.dotgj.com and save $10